Lanka set to face HK reality check

  • Ex-star wants SLR to stop pulling the wool over the eyes 
  • Visitors expected to send second-string to Colomb

Sri Lanka will face the weight of history as its 15-a-side team face up to a new look defending champions and expats-laden Hong Kong, in the Asia Rugby Emirates Men’s Championship opener for 2026, at Racecourse Grounds in Colombo this Sunday (24).

The Tuskers go into the three-team round-robin competition also featuring South Korea after the withdrawal of UAE, as clear underdogs, being shone off its cream of stars who are already gearing up for the Asian Games in the Sevens circuit in Japan later this year. 

Historically Hong Kong holds a dominant unbeaten record against their hosts in Men’s 15-a-side rugby union tests winning all recorded fixtures, while in their most recent clash the former secured a thumping 78-7 win laced with 12 tries during last year’s edition at home.

The tournament in 2025 also served as a pathway for the Rugby World Cup 2027 qualifiers with Hong Kong having booked their place in the game’s showpiece event in Australia for the first time in its history, joining Asian rugby torchbearer Japan.

The national selectors have already formed a 55-member initial pool from which the final match day 23 squad is to be picked, but the enormity of the challenge facing the home team on Sunday, even with a second-string HK outfit cannot be denied.

The recent two-match series against the representative New Zealand U85 kg team is said to have battle-hardened the men in white despite losing both games, but the proof of the pudding as the saying goes will be in the eating.

In eight matchups with Hong Kong, Sri Lanka are yet to get the better of the tourists and although earlier ties in 2003 and 2006 had featured somewhat closer margins, the recent decade-spanning games have all seen heavily lop-sided scorelines.

Another factor tilting the scales in favour of the title-holders is they’ve also historically maintained a much-higher ranking tier in Asia (typically hovering inside the world top 25), while the Lankans have generally floated around the 40-50 range.

It is understood that the Nigel Hotham-trained outfit have opted against sending their full strength squad for the fixture in Colombo, and have decided to field a development/in-experienced side, instead.

Only five players from the contracted Rugby World Cup training squad have been seconded to this particular clash against the Tuskers, with 17 of the 23-man squad being in line to make their debut.

According to the Hong Kong China Rugby (HKCR) website, they are using the Asian Rugby Emirates Men’s Championship (AREMC) as a development block, while preparing for the upcoming Nations Cup and building towards the 2027 Rugby World Cup.

Pressed for Sri Lanka’s chances against their regional powerhouse-who are out to win their seventh successive title, a former Sri Lanka star who declined to be named urged the officials from Sri Lanka Rugby (SLR) to stop pulling the wool over their eyes and face reality.

“I think Sri Lanka needs to understand the ground reality,” the former player said. “Even faced with a second-string team, Sri Lanka will get a reality check from HK on Sunday. Whom are we trying to deceive? With our best cocooned for Sevens duty, do they (SLR) think we can put one over Hong Kong. It's wishful thinking at best, and they will realise this in no uncertain terms over the weekend.”

Sri Lanka is set to play their second and final encounter against South Korea in Incheon on 13 June, while Hong Kong and Korea are scheduled to clash in the second fixture of the Championship on 7 June.

Source - The Morning

  

You Must be Registered Or Logged in To Comment Log In?

Please Accept Cookies for Better Performance